In the beginning … The Kensington Historical Society (KHS) has been an integral part of Kensington since 1977; our programs address a broad view of our local history. It is our hope the KHS will help stimulate greater interest in Kensington history and the preservation of Kensington’s architecture. We encourage the Kensington area citizens to join us at our meetings and to consider becoming an active KHS member. We appreciate the support and active participation of the community over the years.
The Kensington Historical Society (KHS) was founded in June 1977 to safeguard and promote the heritage of the Community of Kensington. KHS is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization and is run by a volunteer Board with generous help from members and sponsors. The Society, furthers its mission by:
- Preserving a record of its cultural, social, economic, political, and architectural history;
- Promoting the preservation, protection, and restoration of district, sites, buildings, structures, and objects that reflect the history of the education, welfare, and pleasure of its residents; and
- Promoting the preservation of open space within the community for historic, recreation, and scenic purposes.
The Society maintains a library of publications, newspaper clippings and photographs at their Archives in the Town Hall. The Archives are open Thursday afternoons from 1 – 3 p.m. and by appointment.
The Society also presents educational programs, community concerts, hosts semi-annual social events, and publishes a quarterly newsletter, and a yearly calendar honoring some feature of historic Kensington. We provide references and sources for preservation and tax-related information.
For more information about the Society, address inquiries to email@example.com or write to the Kensington Historical Society, PO Box 453, Kensington, MD 20895. Visit the SUPPORT PAGE to see how to become a member.
KHS Board Members
AT LARGE MEMBERS:
Mary Buckingham Bonita Condon Elisenda Sola-Sole
Steve Cohen, Gary Ditto, John Doherty, Sigrid Doherty, Jack Gaffey, Trammell Maury, Leanne Pfautz, Barbara Scharman, Betsy Stewart, Detta Voesar and Toni Ward
What we do…
- Education including maintaining archival reference collections for research, preservation. See our Archives page for more details
- Newsletters – online and mailed to all KHS members quarterly
- Provide preservation guidelines and tax related information
- Sponsor social events and summer concerts. Check our main page for notices
- Find out how you can become a member or business sponsor on our Support page
Kensington Historical Society Archives are located on the ground floor of the Kensington Town Hall (3710 Mitchell Street, Kensington MD 20895. at the corner of Armory Avenue & Mitchell Street) and are usually open on Thursday afternoons from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. or by appointment. We are a 501C3 organization and are currently looking for Kensington photos taken before 1970.
KHS is pleased to provide an index to go along with your Kensington Picture History book. This is a PDF file and Adobe Reader is required to view this file.
Questions concerning our archives and related issue should be address to Julie O’Malley, board president and Archivist.